Royal Caribbean - Breach of Agreement (One sided change in Itinerary)

Cruise Dates: June 25-June 30, 2016 (5 nights)

Ship Name: Empress of the Seas

Reservation Number 2098975

We have embarked on June 25 and issues started from the moment we have received access to our room. I was amazed to find in our room that supposably was cleaned before our arrival, pair of women underwear in the draw. Later on I have found Avis car rental receipt of another passenger. Obviously, the room was not cleaned. The crew apologized but now I had to wonder how clean the room including the *** myself and my kids are sleeping on.

The following morning, I was amazed to find out that instead of going to Cayman Islands which was our itinerary, we ported in Nassau. What a disappointment for the kids! We certainly did not pay for that. For a person who has been in Nassau, there is not much to do there with the kids. We never left the boat that day. It was SHOCKING to find a letter from the Captain, Mr. Carl, saying that one of the engines broke and we will not be able to go to Cayman Islands. That made me wonder, are we even able to sail overall? Is it safe to sail with three out of four engines? Questions that are still remain unanswered (For now). Moreover, it was insulting to find in the letter that I am offered 10% discount on all onboard spending. Really?! – Royal Caribbean breaks a contract with a customer (me) and offers a compensation that translates to couple hundred of dollars. It was suppose to be a vacation with my kids that we all waited for. If I had known we are going to Nassau, I would have not taken vacation days from work!

The only attraction for the kids on the boat which is the climbing wall, was closed for the whole second day except from 7PM to 8PM. Time which most of the guest are having dinner. When I complained that it does not make sense. I was told it is due to changing the itinerary. Still did not make sense to me.

In addition, I have purchased a data and talk plan from my cell phone carrier (AT&T) to do some work from Cayman Islands. Now, I could not do it and lost the money as well.

What else what wrong:

 Condition on the cruise ship is poor – see pictures attached.

o Floor at the bar broke

o Handle of entering the pool deck was broken – I picked it from the floor and brought it to one on the crew members.

o There was an overall feeling that something is broken as we constantly saw crew members all over the place fixing/painting something.

This was supposed to be my summer vacation with the kids and I have planned to take them swim with sharks in the Cayman Island and celebrate my mom’s birthday which I have invited to cruise with us. It turned out to be big disappointment!!!

I am hoping that Royal Caribbean will take extremely seriously the above, and reach out to me with appropriate solutions/compensation.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Facilities and Services
Quality of Accommodation
Additional Fees
Quality of Food
Number of Destinations

• What I liked
    • Dinning room waiters and room attendants
  • What I disliked
    • Food

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Royal Caribbean Empress Of The Seas Cruise Booking
Review category
Cruises and Ships
review #878475 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Royal Caribbean? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 30 #1220786 Ottawa, Ontario

As much as I understand your frustration, cruise lines can change the itinerary. It's part of the fine print you would have agreed to on booking. Them offering a 10 % discount on spending is better then most.

0 0 Reply

Jul 09 #1182945 Los Angeles, California

Have you considered a letter to the cruise line FROM A REPUTABLE ATTORNEY outlining their options before you instigate further action?
It's something to think about. ..most take a case like that "on contengency "(sp?) . I know I would. ..that's your kid "childhood memories " that I'm sure you worked very hard to save up for!
They who own the Cruise line only take their profits from it; you'll NEVER see them on a vacation ON one of their ships. Right?
Good luck with however your problem is resolved. ..hopefully you'll somehow receive something that allows you to take your kids & Mom on the actual vacation you dreamed it would be!

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Royal Caribbean. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Royal Caribbean.
Filing a new complaint about